At some point in the future, I hope to include an annotated list on children’s books that have been translated into English; that is they were originally in some other language. However in the meantime here is one for adults: for one of my classes this semester I chose to write up a Genre Study on Translated Literature. This is a pretty broad list, and it includes:
- Literary Fiction
- Graphic Novels
- Science Fiction
- And some crazy awesome writers.
Initially I’m just pointing the list, and slowly working in the annotations. So check back and see how things shape up.
(and next week, we should be back to our regular schedule).
Genre–Literature in Translation
- Abouet, Marguerite & Ouberie, Clemente. Aya Series (books 1-4)(2005-2012). Translated from the original French by Dag Dasher.
- Allende, Isabel. Island Beneath the Sea. (2010). Translated from the original Spanish by Margaret Sayers Pedan
- Bronsky, Alina. The Hottest Dishes of the Tatar Regime (2010). Translated from the original Russian by Tim Mohr.
- Catel (Mueller) & Bocquet, Jose-Luis. (2012). Kiki de Montparnasse. Translated from the original French by Nora Mahoney.
- Eco, Umberto. The Prague Cemetary. Translated from the original Italian by Richard Dixon.
- Evans, Brecht. The Wrong Place. Translated from the original Dutch by Rhian Heppleston, Michele Hutchison, & Laura Watkinson. **
- Lackberg, Camilla. The Drowning (2012). Translated from the original Swedish by Tina Nunnaly
- Linke, Yann. Dream of Ding Vilaage (2011). Translated from the original Chinese by Cindy Carter.
- Luiselli, Valeria. Faces in the Crowd (2012). Translated from the original Spanish by Christina McSweeney.
- Mizuki, Shigeru. Onwards Towards Our Noble Deaths (2012). Translated from the original Japanese by Jocelynne Allen. **
- Murikami, Haruki. (2011). IQ84. Translated from the original Japanese by Jay Rubin & Phil Gabriel.
- Mysliwski, Wieslaw. Stone Upon Stone. (2010). Translated from the Polish by Bill Johnson. *
- Neuman, Andres. (2012). Traveler of the Century.(2012). Translated from the original Spanish by Nick Caistor & Lorenz Garcia.
- Oz, Amos. Scenes from a Village Life (2011). Translated from the original Hebrew by Nicholas de Lange.
- Palma, Felix J. (2011). A Map of Time (2011). Translated from the original Spanish by Nick Caisto
- Perez-Reverte, Arturo. Pirates of the Levant (Captain Alatriste, Book 6). (2010). Translated from the Spanish by Margaret Jill Costa.
- Pehov, Aleksey. Shadow Prowler. (2010). Translated from the original Russian by Aleksey Pehov.
- Potzsch, Oliver. The Hangman’s Daughter (2011). Translated from the original German by Lee Chadeayne. (AmazonCrossing).
- Rodari, Gianni. Lamberto Lamberto Lamberto! (2011). Translated from the Italian by Antony Shugar.
- Siguradottir, Yrsa. Ashes to Dust (2012). Translated from the original Icelandic by Philip Roughton
- Sjon. From the Mouth of the Whale (2011). Translated from the Icelandic by Victoria Cribb.
- Ugresic, Dubravka. Baba Yaga Laid an Egg (2010). Translated from the original Croatian by Ellen Elias-Bursac, Celia Hawkesworth, & Mark Thompson.
- Valenzuela, Luisa. Dark Desires and Others (2011).Translated from the original Spanish by Susan E. Clark.
* Best Translated Book Award 3%, 2011.
** Graphic Novel